Sunday, January 29, 2006

Feminism = Not Fair

Okay, so, in the 70's, when feminism was on the rise, women were breaking out of gender constructs and forging new notions of identity, redefining their roles in the world. You know. That stuff.

If you're a guy, can you not help but feel a little left out?

Now that feminism has sifted its way into mainstream society and the post-feminist backlash is feebly settling in, I somehow feel as though guys missed out on this whole chance to redefine themselves and are floundering in centuries-old positions. I mean, don't you wanna strike out? Break something? Fight the Man? Or Woman? Or whoever it is exactly that's holding us back? There's got to be something we could do.


Well, ok, so, like, maybe, that's not what I had in mind.


And c'mon! As if any feminists were heterosexual.



Well, I postulate that although as men there might be plenty for us to break out of, there isn't a whole lot for us to break into. While one could argue for the existance of powerful institutions which exclude men, do you suppose that many men want to join the Daughters of the American Revolution? (On a side note, does anyone? Not that I'm unpatriotic; I just don't support organizations that force essays on poor middle school children year after year.)

The solution, my friends, is clear. Regress! Try and force our patriarchial views on back upon society once again! Plowing forward culturally would be require thinking, talking about our feelings, and we might even have to ask for directions.

Scary thought, I know.

7 Comments:

Anonymous jose said...

what the hell is patriachial, i didn't understand a god damn word of what you just said. But what ever u said if it means men get to go to war again i fully support u

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Vivian said...

You could start a masculinist movement, but I think "Elitist Indifference" needs a female writer.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I apologize for this in advance, but it must be said after the above comment. It's a law of physics, of nature even.

"But we have Nader/Tyler!"

It needed to be done. For America.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Tyler said...

i think i fail at representing women. i think that goes without saying.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Tyler said...

i hope.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

See? The only rebuttal I need to make to that is that I don't need to make a rebuttal to that. Oh, that and your choice of jackets disturbs me in a way I cannot quite discern.

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Jordan said...

I know I just might be killed by the crazy femme's but it must be said. The femminist movement was about breaking into "The man's world". That all of a sudden mothers should go to work because women are equal with men and raising your children no longer counts as job...All this did was cause a generation (us) of children who have no clue what the hell a parents job is also. I think we need to redifine the role of women and men and realize that Men and Women have certain skill sets, now there are exceptions, but on the average this is true. Its not about equality its about interdependence.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home